28 October 2008

i am an idiot

So I have been very excited about voting. I have never gotten to actually physically vote. In 2000 I was in Honduras (registered to vote in Michigan) and the absentee ballot never came. I missed the entire Bush-Gore-Bush-Gore-Bush-Gore-Bush-Gore-Nader game. I'm still not completely sure what a hanging chad is. Michigan went Gore, though, so my vote was not missed. In 2004, I did get my absentee ballot while living in New York, and I voted. I was pumped, though, to do it in real life. Then I discovered two things:
  1. All voting here is by mail. Dur.
  2. I accidentally recycled my ballot, because I did not know it was coming in the mail. Double dur.
I had to call and request a new one and you would think that the lady taking the requests for replacement ballots would have heard everything, right? But no, she still snorted audibly with laughter when I said, "I need a new ballot because I accidentally recycled my other one."

You cannot tell me I'm the only person who did this.

And I'm never going to get to physically go to the polling station and pull a lever. How very annoying.

No comments: