21 July 2008

some people think it's a good thing

Okay. I'm bored. I mean, I'm not BORED, but I'm a little bored. It's just... everything works here, you know? The biggest excitement I've had lately is schedule changes on the train. No one leap up and get too excited here. The other day, my train stopped because there was a mechanical problem with the train ahead of us and I walked the rest of the way to work. But how is this even a story? If I'd just stayed on the stupid train for five more minutes, they would have fixed it all and I would have gotten to work, probably still on time.

Our car slid off the road into a swamp when we were racing for a plane because our airstrip was too muddy for the Caravan to land once in Southern Sudan.

That was a story worth telling. And I told it, here. But oh, sob, weep. My train was delayed. They fixed it. Big deal.

The problem is that there are safety nets. I'm not big on super scary things. People think I am, because I travel to places like Tiny Little Town, and Liberia. But I would die before I bungee jumped or sky dove. (I say this, but I would probably do it. I would fret and worry, and then I would get over it and jump and love it. So I take that back.) I don't like super scary things, but I get so bored when everything works. I actually love places that have ditches too deep to be safe all along the side of the road. I love places where you get stranded ten hours from nowhere, with no cell coverage and no one to call even if you had it, and you have to hitch rides with random lorry drivers. Everything runs so smoothly here, and it's so very boring.

2 comments:

Judith said...

Don't fret too much - boredom today spurs excitement for tomorrow! And for the record, I, too, find it borderline entertaining that people refer to working in Africa as oh-so-scary, when realistically, my current locale is far safer than my neighborhood in Manhattan!

Monday's Child said...

girl... I feel like a broken record.. but I get it. I GET IT. I really really GET it.