22 July 2008

abdication of principles

I have reached a new low. So low that I don't even want to admit it. So low that I hardly dare mention it for fear that my dad will make fun of me incessantly for the rest of my life, even though he's since been converted by evidence of the terribleness perpetrated by this place I am about to mention.

Back story: I wear contacts. I do not wear glasses. I have glasses, and they are dandy to have for such occasions as fire alarms in the middle of the night (here in Gone West) or pee breaks in a pit latrine in the middle of the night (back in Southern Sudan) or I don't really know what else because that's all I've used them for. I didn't have them on any other Africa trips. I just went blindly about in the dark. But I don't wear my glasses in real life, because they make me dizzy and I misjudge distances and they give me a headache, all of which I consider to be bad things.

Unfortunately, I am on my last set of contacts. I am on my last set of contacts and panic is setting in because they may tear and I can't get any more because I don't have health insurance and I don't have money and I borrowed money from my parents for the contacts but my prescription has expired, which means a $300 visit to the cheap eye place. Why do you even NEED a prescription for contacts? It's a racket.

So I have made a terrible concession. I looked up the W@lm@rt Vision Center, and I'm calling it tomorrow. Patronizing W@lm@rt goes against all of my principles. I feel dirty.

But yos, I am dead broke. It's this or blindness.

...

I was walking along today, talking to myself, as one does, (WHAT? you know you do it, too) and I caught myself saying to myself, "Is that tomorrow or next tomorrow?" Yeah, no one says that here. It's a Sudanism. Amused.

No comments: