01 August 2007

i can't sit still, and it's only going to get worse

I got loads of lovely information about the new East Africa thing today, and now I can't sit still. I randomly shout out things like "GAH!" out of sheer excitement. Because I'm going! Somewhere! The more I read about it, the more excited I get.

Before the receipt of all the lovely information, I was bored. Reee-ally bored. Bored to the extent that I was willingly trying to figure out what is going on with my student loans, a task I have been avoiding for weeks. Months, even. Years? The truth is that I want to forget that my student loans exist. Actually facing them is a sign that the boredom and need for forward movement has reached extreme levels.

But yesterday, in boredom, I resorted to opening all the hundreds of envelopes in the basket in my bedroom where my parents have been throwing them since 2004. Then I filed them all away in a new (thrift store) filing cabinet. I ended up with two very full grocery bags of paper for recycling, just from opening the envelopes. (We are CRAZY MAD recyclers in this family. We recycle everything possible. We also compost, which smells bad but is of course good for the earth.)

Then today, I filed some more papers I found and cleaned out a plastic bag of random stuffs, but ran out of papers (not random stuffs, there are more random stuffs in my room then one would believe possible for one person to own) and I had to succumb to the horrors of examining the student loans. Horrors. Horrors.

I finally figured out where all my money came from in law school (prior to today, I was just madly signing promissory notes with no concept of who and how much). Law school doesn't miraculously fund itself, it turns out. Now I just have to call all those lenders and figure out how to set up my loans so I'll be paying them all at the right time and in the right manner. Right now, I have three lenders and apparently about 10 separate loans. Somehow, it has to be possible to make this simpler. I'm thinking that some consolidation might be in order (of course I missed the better interest rate in June). I'm going to be in other lands, after all, and not at all paying attention to the loan statements that come in. As if I paid attention to them over the last three years, ever. Heh. I didn't even open the envelopes until yesterday.

Oh! Movie starting.

No comments: