14 August 2007

and i thought i might get some sleep. ha!

I thought I was in pretty good shape for the (tomorrow!) departure. I have most of my stuff in or around two suitcases. I've gone through my list of things to do (all but change phone message). I have a list of things I absolutely must remember. I thought I was doing just fine, and I'd be in bed about now.

That was before I started in on the second to last item on my list: do some loan-repayment work. As it turns out, I need to send multitudes of papers to my school, several of which papers are not available from either 1. the things lenders have been sending me or 2. the online statements. Which means that tomorrow I get another lovely round of lender calling. Cit.iba.nk? WORST COMPANY EVER. It is irresponsible to provide so little information to their consumers. And their website is impossible, as is their phone system. There is weeping and gnashing of teeth every time I have to deal with them. (Ooooh. I hope someday I get to do a customer survey! Pick me! Pick me! At random.) And after the round of lender calling, I need to photocopy things. And mail them (if I can even get them all by tomorrow, otherwise... Mom?).

So that's a nightmare.

I am also contemplating a Big Life Change, involving a desire to actually do law for a while (instead of international jobs, which tend to consist of mostly telling other countries how to do law). Since I don't have any experience actually doing law, I have to talk to the career people at school about how one gets a job actually doing law when one has no experience actually doing law. So that's tomorrow morning, in between lender phone calls and photocopying.

And despite the fact that the stuff is all in and around the suitcases? I'm switching one of the suitcases. So that's a big remaining task. That and figuring out the weights. I think it might be a problem that I have two suitcases, and I can't get it down to one, and my last flight (not part of tomorrow's itinerary but coming up on a separate ticket a few days later) is an inter-Africa flight that isn't going to allow two suitcases. I hate that part. How is one 20-kilo bag ever enough? I can hardly fit my toothbrush in such a bag.

In news mostly unrelated to my imminent departure for East Africa, I have been religiously eating my yogurt twice a day. It doesn't seem to be helping, and after extensive googling, I am 95.6% certain that I have a parasite (hello there, little bugs and/or worms living inside me!). It explains everything, including the fact that I am hungry every second of every day. These stupid parasites are taking all my nutrients and leaving me with the leftovers, like probably the fats. But I will be in Nairobi in 48 hours and I plan to buy drugs with which to vanquish them (after consulting my friend Dr. B in Rwanda and/or a clinic in Kenya, obviously. Google and I aren't quite THAT good. There are still quite a few possibilities.).

Although the yogurt is not helping, I'm learning not to hate it. It's causing a crisis. I might have to rethink my entire identity. Hating yogurt has been a deep and abiding characteristic of mine. Remember my 12-tastes theory? I've now had yogurt nine times and I have to say... I sort of enjoyed this last cup. Blast.

No comments: