22 July 2007

garden variety apology

Apparently the word "wee" to describe the garden is an offense to the garden. Said garden is apparently "bigger than it was last year" and so does not deserve the word "wee" as a description. Because it has GROWN. Now, the garden is still pretty small. I would be lying to you if I said otherwise. BUT, I am instructed to tell you that it is bigger than last year. (I can't confirm this, as last year I was in a post-wrist surgery daze and the garden was not yet producing edibles and so I remember nothing about last year's garden.) In addition to beans and tomatoes, it has carrots and sunflowers. It's something like six feet by five feet, and somewhat overwhelmed by the height of the chicken wire fence around it.

As I explained to the party in question, "wee" is a diminutive that I used as an approximate equivalent to cute. Please go back and reread yesterday's post with that in mind, everyone. Wee = cute.

I have to placate that garden somehow so it will keep giving me lovely fresh raw green beans.

I had to miss some of the lovely sunny (again! it goes on and on beautifully here) to do some more organizing and packing in the pit that is my room. Why, I ask you, do I have things like Uchumi (grocery store) receipts from my first trip to Kenya in 2000? Forex receipts? It's like I thought I would never have another chance to buy Cadbury Eclairs or change money in Nairobi. Probably I did think that. I never expected to get back to East Africa. But do you know how many times I have been in Nairobi since then? If you count flying through, probably 15. If you only count staying there, probably 8 or 10. And I may be there again in a week or two. I clearly do not need these items. (Good thing I kept the shillings, though, huh?)

I also found a button that I had almost given up on.

No comments: