09 June 2007

in the land of the living

Back from northern Minnesota. I like that place, actually. I spent a week snuggled under a blanket reading books (6 or seven, I lost count), watching movies (five), and kayaking (not under a blanket, obviously: verdict = stupid, stupid, for the arms; fun, fun, otherwise). I don't know if I'm quite ready to give up the world of cell phone reception, because really? even Buchanan, Liberia has cell phone reception these days, but I spent the week thinking, "I could live here! After all, there are good bookstores, which there are not in Rwanda or Liberia." But then I remembered winter and how I hate it, and decided Africa's still a better option.

So now I'm back (?) to not a lot going on, since I turned in the paper-of-death the night before I left for the Land of 10,000 Lakes. It's strange. I feel like I've severed my last tie with the law school, which was my only real institution. I don't have a job, so I don't have a employer-institution. And now I don't have an education-institution either.

That's been just fine all week, not having an institution, because I didn't need an institution, I had movies to watch and books to read, but right now I'm a wee bit anxious about it. And a bit at loose ends. I just looked through all the job sites online and found... well, just about nothing for which I want to apply.

I'm going to go off for a run and hope it cheers me up. I ran, by the way, in MN, although the first time I ran with my phone dangling from my hands because of the BEARS. There might at any moment be BEARS. Then by the third night of the running through the road in the woods I was okay, mostly, although I still spun around every now and again, JUST IN CASE. Because you never know when you might get eaten by a BEAR, just like you never know when a tick might get you and kill you with Lyme disease. It happens. And if it's going to happen, I'd rather have some advance warning.

No comments: