06 May 2007

escape routes

Well, I've run out of blogs to read in desperate procrastination. I shall have to write my own post so that in half an hour it will appear on my feedburner and I'll have something to read.

May is giving us a string of lovely clear days that I only see through windows because of the last law school paper that I can't seem to write. Right now I can see the lovely sun on the green roof of the building across from the office I'm working in, but I can't go out into it. Not while I have only two of 30 pages written, oh no.

So instead I'm reading about digital cameras. Productivity reigns.

The problem is no pressure. No pressure. The professor says we can turn in this paper until June 1. Do I want to be writing this paper on May 31? No, I do not. But I'm tired of law school and that beautiful (albeit cool, the wind is pretty strong) sunshine looks ever so appealing. The trees are losing their pink and white flowers in favor of tiny yellow-green leaves. I love those little leaves. I didn't think I missed seasons during the two years in Rwanda, but in the last week I remembered that in 2003, at the end of March, I was visiting my great uncle and aunt in the Netherlands and we went for a bike ride canal-side and I kept thinking, wherever I live in the world, I should come to the Netherlands in the spring for the brand new leaves and greening grass. When I walk with the babysitting baby through Brooklyn's tree-shaded streets, I start to think maybe I could live in New York. I have to remind myself that there are beautiful spring trees in other places that do not come with the rest of the baggage of New York.

So anyway, I'm "writing" a paper. And applying for more job-like things. And reading the blogs of those people lucky enough to be out in the world instead of stuck in a building trying not to write a paper. GET ME OUT OF HERE!

No comments: