31 May 2007

the end of the end

I am so excited to be almost done with my paper (31 pages, just needs some corrections and footnotes), that I cannot actually write it. I think that might be a problem. Fundamental flaw.

I almost crashed the tiny car today, out of sheer stupidity. I tried to throw a popsicle stick out of the passenger window, found myself on the shoulder, overcompensated getting back onto the road, hit the brakes too hard, and skidded around for a while. As I was skidding, I pictured my car tumbling over and over into the ditch and was furiously annoyed with myself for the whole thing. But I managed to think to myself, "Overcorrecting! Overbraking! Stop!" and coast to a stop on the side of the road. Fortunately there were no other cars around for me to hit, or to hit me. Then I was all tense and shaking for a while driving here to finish the paper. And all glad to be alive.

The best thing about this town is a very particular cocoa drink at a local coffee shop. It's a spicy hot chocolate, but it has the following amazing characteristics:
  1. Perfect amount of cayenne pepper.
  2. No cinnamon. (Because in hot chocolate mixing pepper + cinnamon = bad. Although I'm sure this place could do it well. But they don't, which probably means it shouldn't be done.)
  3. Great chocolate as the base.
  4. Homemade whipped cream.
  5. Inexplicable extra goodness.
Okay, that's maybe the best culinary thing about this town, not the best THING. I kind of want another one.

No comments: