07 April 2007

nightmare

Applying for jobs, that is. I am ready ready ready to be done with law school. But applying for jobs is like pulling teeth (not that I've ever had a tooth pulled, so that might be a bad example but I'm not sure because I don't actually know what it feels like). I am qualified for a surprising number of jobs. Surprising because as a friend of mine said, "No one is ever qualified for those jobs."

And I'm brave. Well, brave. I'm braver than I ever used to be. Applying for jobs is my least favorite thing in the job world (almost). I can do jobs and do them well, I just hate applying for them. But it gets a bit easier when you are qualified. That and having spent the last three years at a school that constantly tells you, "Everyone wants to hire you when you graduate from here! Everyone!" Which might be a lie, but at least it's an emboldening one.

I'm applying. I'm applying for Africa jobs, for the moment. I don't really have the experience to apply for jobs in Asia or Latin America, but I do think it would be great to work for an organization that might send me there after a few years.

Wouldn't it? Wouldn't it? I love thinking of the possibilities.

------------------------------------------------

One of the things I love about New York (I'm getting all nostalgic now that I'm about to leave) is the individual interaction. It's actually one of the things I also love about Africa. You can't hide behind a big shopping cart and a major retailer and a U-Scan in New York, or in Africa. You can't hide in your car. It is you and the guy selling incense on the sidewalk. It is you and the homeless man asking for money. It is you and the woman who cleans the bathroom. It is you and the crowd of teenagers on the subway. Every day you get to make a choice: smile and say hello, chat for a moment while buying the purse or the scarf, or shove past them. Unfortunately, you get a lot of shovers in New York. But you also get real moments of being human together.


No comments: