26 November 2006

Thanksgiving weekend

I don't go to Michigan for Thanksgiving these days - by these days I mean law school days - mostly because it's expensive and right before exams and the last two years I've had to go to Michigan either the weekend immediately before or the weekend immediately after for various things like my brother's wedding and my Oma's birthday party. And the two Thanksgivings before that I was in Rwanda (2002: no celebration; 2003: beer-can chicken at K&S's house, I think. or maybe nothing. probably nothing. come to think of it, nothing. i worked.) and the Thanksgiving two before that I was in Horduras (2000: out in the campo on the day, celebrated Sunday with an amazing meal outside at K&Js - perfect happiness). I've gotten out of the habit.

So we (me and friends and roommate) made UnTurkey (why must vegetarians continually attempt to replicate meat?) and other vegan dishes including the vegan jollof rice that I have been working on perfecting so that my roommate can eat it (sh! don't tell any Liberians, they would be appalled at the idea of jollof rice without meat. and with fake maggi cubes. I mean, what self-respecting jollof rice has no meat? in direct hypocrisy about my vegetarian meat comment just back there, I added gimme-lean fake sausage which is good, by the way. so good that i'm thinking right now of going and making a nearly fat and oil-free patty of it for sheer eating enjoyment. and it's great in jollof rice. and jollof rice is just about the best food ever. i'm obsessed and make it in huge batches and take it to school to microwave for lunch.)

Anyway. There was cooking; there was eating.

Then I wasted Friday and Saturday and today not doing the studying and paper-writing that I must must must do. I'm in the frozen-by-all-I-have-to-do stage, which I hate.

Two things to note: there is no one at school on Thanksgiving weekend. And every person in the country is in New York on Thanksgiving weekend. MAKE THE SLOW-WALKING TOURISTS WHO TAKE UP THE WHOLE SIDEWALK GO AWAY. I actually cannot walk that slow, even when I'm not in a hurry. Also I had to walk through the Port Authority Bus Terminal today and... I have no words for the chaos of that place on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.


No comments: