11 September 2006

I do not approve

I do not approve of this cold thing. I expected at least a week or two of warm before the cold set in, but I forgot that I came back a week later this year than last. So I only had three or four days of warm, and now the cold has set in.

I do, by some miraculous change of events, approve of both my classes and my class schedule. Here's the beautiful thing: I have class mostly only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, they never start before 11 a.m., and I like all of them. Really. I do. I have actually started doing the reading, for the sole reason that I'm interested in it. I don't have to set an alarm clock except maybe on Tuesdays and Thursdays depending on when I go to bed. Can you imagine? I am living this semester virtually alarm-free. This hasn't happened since I was in Rwanda and set my own work schedule (which started at nine, thank you very much. I don't care what time government offices open). The beauty is that I'm not tired. I spend a lot of time being tired, so the concept of getting enough sleep on a regular basis is changing my whole outlook on everything. New York. Law school. Winter. I mean, everything. I can even handle the cold if I'm not tired.

Still miss Liberia, though, and my work. I keep trying to do work for my work there, but time is short and I'm already out of the loop. I've been gone for a week and things have moved on without me. I'm very sad about it, but sort of resigned. As happened when I first came to last school, I left Liberia for one reason alone: so many people in Africa want to go to school, and I CAN. Not to finish would be a slap in the face to all my friends who wish that they could. It may not be the best of reasons. Some people may not like it. But it got me here and I am learning.

I still have some Liberia posts in my head. They are coming. Slowly.

1 comment:

traci said...

yippee for sleep