18 December 2005

what i wish i was doing

My friend AMS left for Burkina Faso today to visit her sister. They are going to the coast in Ghana to the beach, also. So when I talked to her yesterday, she had two visas in her passport and was getting ready to leave. And I kept shivering with jealousy. Every few minutes I would suddenly say, "I wish I was going to Burkina Faso!"

I wish I was doing anything but sit here wishing I could rediscover my studying momentum. My momentum has left me before my exams are over. But I've been studying every day for three weeks and now it's just... gone. I'm mentally through with this semester, but no one has told the school that it is inhuman to schedule exams for the 22nd of December, thus ruining everyone's Christmas because they can't leave here until at least the 23rd. Jerks.

I used to imagine, when I left Rwanda, that when I had a school-year schedule I would get home in time to trim the tree and make Christmas cookies. NOT IF THE LAW SCHOOL HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT. Oh, no. I will never get to make a Christmas cookie again if they have their way. If they have their way, I will immediately be shuttled into a $144,000 a year job which will require me to work 100 hour weeks even over Christmas. But they shall not succeed. After I finish the sixth of the nightmares that are law school exam weeks, I will find some lovely, low-paying job that leaves me time to make cookies. And the law school will never get a penny from me unless it is to find a way to help students from low-income (and by low-income in this setting, I mean anything under, say $75,000 a year) afford housing. Because I have some anger about how much they charge for housing. And when they end exams.

End of today's rant.

No comments: