08 July 2005

oh, right

regarding that work thing i do - on monday at 4 pm someone handed me "[opponent's] response to [our] extremely urgent motion" about one of the witnesses and said, "look up US case law for us so we can respond to this. give me a two page summary of what US law says before you leave tonight. then have fun in Rwanda."

i was leaving for Rwanda at 7 am the next morning.

it took me until 9 pm to get the summary done. the cases that were in the original motion were unfindable. i had to start over and i wasn't sure exactly which aspect he wanted me to look at. i saw about ten that were possible. finally i looked up all this stuff about closed testimony and limiting cross-examination. i assume it was right because i haven't gotten any complaints. so far.

everyone in my office was jealous because i got to do something, okay, stressful and uncertain, but actually legal.

did i mention that i love my trial team?

No comments: