07 July 2005

back to beautiful Rwanda

So today I'm sitting in a former hotel, now an office building. From my window on the third floor, I can see the runway at Kanombe Airport.

I just threw a bag of banana chips at the trash can because they were stale and they scattered all over the floor. I had to pick them up one by one lest someone should come in and see that I'm a slob.

Yesterday I was in Nyamata. Wednesday I was in Butare. Tuesday I was in Arusha. I don't know where I'm sleeping tonight.

Landing in Rwanda feels like a homecoming every time. This time, in the little UN plane, I could see the runway through the cockpit and the green hills around us and I was happy happy happy to be back.

I thought there would be friends arriving here today but I can't find them. Sad. I want to go to Gisenyi or something but I don't feel like going alone, even to Gisenyi, especially on minibuses. I miss my car so so so much. It gave me so much independence. And if all else failed, I could have slept in it. This guy who did Peace Corps in Mauritania looks at me like I'm a snob because I say almost daily, "I wish I had a car!"

1 comment:

traci said...

marie, the sloppy snob :) hehe