03 May 2005

march 29, 2004: stories from my last time in africa

1137 am, Rwanda/Amsterdam time (somewhere over Sudan)

I've sworn off of backpacks for international travel (I'm a professional, after all...) but was not about to lug my black suitcase on the plane all the way to the US. So i bought a tiny black and tan plaid suitcase for 3000 FRw at City 2. A wanted one of them last summer and I may end up passing it on to her. It is cheap, flimsy, and poorly made. I love it. I think it's cute. It even has a shoulder strap.

There seems to be an opinion, however, a wealthy African opinion, that such a suitcase is not up to rich white person standards. "You can't use that! You should have a good suitcase." Everyone standing around agreed.

Max said, "It's a very African suitcase." Very diplomatic.

The girls in the corporate duty-free at Kanombe Airport loved it. "It's good! It's so Rwandese." This is the ultimate goal. I'm often told, "You could take Rwandese citizenship! You could marry a Rwandese! Then you would never have to leave!"

Er.

Anyway.

I love the suitcase. I wonder if I can somewhere find a tiny, sturdy suitcase. One that will last a few years. Plaid. I like the plaid.

No comments: