05 June 2015

re-tracing

I drove into Universe City this afternoon along the very same route that I drove five years ago this month, when I came for my first interview with the organization that was my work home for almost three years.

It even felt the same, except that I was driving my own car and my mom wasn't with me and it's all familiar now. The trees are full with dark green leaves and the air is warm, just like they were in June of 2010. 

"There's a lot of history," my former coworker said, as we ate lunch at the same place where we always used to eat lunch when I worked here. Possibly the same place where my mom and I ate lunch that day in 2010. 

"There's a lot of history in the future, too," I said, which made sense in context even though it doesn't make sense if you think about it too much.

Whenever someone asks how it was to live in Universe City, I say, "It's not a great place to be a single professional in your 30s, but some of the best people I know live in [Universe City]."

I love it here when I come back, especially in the summer, especially when I come back for events involving my old office. It's a great feeling to walk into a room and have a dozen people to hug. 


No comments: