09 April 2015

excitement, lack of

I got home a little earlier than usual today and my first thought was not, "Oh, I can go for a walk," or "Oh, I can blog." 

No, it was, "Oh, I can go to sleep earlier."

I'm hip like that these days.

All my excitement happens on weekends: I go dancing (partner and line dancing). I go for hikes. I go out to vineyards with friends who know the owner. 

During the week, the big excitement is the Volvo that flipped us off yesterday after almost running into our car during the evening commute and the Volvo that rear-ended us today, so gently that I thought it was just the driver stalling out the manual transmission.

The big excitement is whether we take the highway the last few miles or head off onto the side road.

The big excitement is whether we have to stop for a 20 minute train at that intersection here in town or if it turns out just to be the Amtrak.

It's not that exciting.

But even when the alarm clock goes off at 5:21 am, even when I am so tired I have to drag myself out of bed, I still don't have to dread my work. And that, my friends, is something to enjoy.

No comments: