18 December 2014

narrow escape

I have been happily typing away on my new computer for almost a month now. I hardly remember what life was like when I had to wait half an hour for the computer to even consider deigning to open a web page. Now I just pop it open and look things up, or open a document, or make a spreadsheet.

Today I wanted to retrieve a recipe from my old computer, which I haven't even turned on since I got the new computer, not even to transfer data, so I plugged it in and let it do its booting up thing.

I typed in my password at the prompt. 

Apparently it cannot load the user profile. The password is right, but the profile cannot be found.

I am going to have to get some help with that, but the only thing I could think was, "What if that happened while I was depending on that computer to make a living?"

It could have been so bad. So, so bad. I bought a new computer at exactly the right moment without even knowing that it was exactly the right moment. I thought the old computer had a little bit of life left in it but that I could no longer tolerate the time wasted. 

Now I know that I barely escaped being computerless for a week or two, or buying another cheap, crappy computer at the nearest box store out of desperation. I am so happy to be, instead, working on the pretty little computer that I ordered with extra RAM so that it hopefully will last for a very, very long time.

This computer makes me happy.

No comments: