04 January 2013

face infected

For the last few days, I have been increasingly paranoid that I am getting an infection in my gums. Yes, the gums in my mouth. My whole mouth has been hurting more and more every day, as I frantically flossed more and more.

I couldn't figure out how this was possible. I floss, people. I floss every single day. I can't go to bed without flossing. How could I get a gum infection?

It wasn't until today when I felt the space behind my face jolting in pain every time I took a step that I realized what was going on: the beginning of a sinus infection.

Ibuprofen is changing my life once again.

I've only had one sinus infection in my life (fingers crossed this one dies out on its own). I was in Kigali staying at my boss's house when I found myself, one day, unable to lay my head down on a pillow. It hurt too much. Fortunately, I had a friend in Rwanda who is a doctor and they sell antibiotics over the counter in pharmacies.

I had to go to three pharmacies to find amoxicillin on a weekend, but when I finally got it, I took the first pills and immediately felt better. I had mentally debated the antibiotic concept, because antibiotics are overused, but I had reached the point where I began to see why people used to just die of bacteria infections. It hurt so much that they lost their will to live.

When you really do need antibiotics, they are a miracle drug. One day I was moaning in pain on D. and R.'s couch, and within 24 hours, I was fit to go out to the Intercontinental with my friends.

I really hope it doesn't come to that this weekend.

No comments: