23 February 2012

trip

I walked outside for a while today, in the sunshine. I need that. I need more of it.

I suspect that I am not the only one, in February, who dreams of the tropics. I dream of sunshine so hot that I have to seek out the shade. I crave it like I crave sleep, at this very moment.

Instead, my mom and I bought tickets to Amsterdam. For spring break.

I was in the Netherlands at the beginning of April in 2003, and it might just be the loveliest place for spring.

It's not like that one European vacation some US Americans take in a lifetime. Not when you have uncles and aunts there. It's just visiting family, and you can do that over and over.

I do not, by the way, understand US Americans with their two to four weeks of vacation a year. How is that okay? How will they ever see the world?

I feel trapped by this, and not just in February. The world is waiting for me, and every day while I do the same thing over and over, the world is spinning without me. I feel trapped outside of time, and yet time is passing too quickly. I need to get back to it.


No comments: