16 December 2011

scrape

I took a load of party goodies out to the car, and came back inside for another. My arms were piled high with cookie trays and cookie containers as I walked out the door.

There are about six steps down to the decking that constitutes our driveway, and I only made five of them.

The cookie containers landed face-up on the decking, and I landed on my knees. My knees hurt.

I was running a few minutes late (I got to the party 4 minutes late), so I salvaged the cookie containers, packed up the car, and went to the party. It wasn't until I unpacked the cookies that I realized that some of them had cracked into pieces from the fall, even though they had not fallen to one side of the container to crumble.

It wasn't until even later that I realized that I had to pull my tights away from my knee to detach them where blood had stuck them to my one scraped knee.

The last time I recall doing exactly this, I was eight and carrying my baby sister. She was fine. I still have the scar.

No comments: