21 November 2011

Trooper

I pulled into a parking spot next to an Isuzu Trooper. It felt weird. Those don't belong here, not at all. It's on the wrong continent.

We used a Trooper, borrowed from another missionary family, when my sister was born. We were staying upcountry, at Compound Number Three, not far from LAC, the Liberia Agricultural Company, that had a better hospital, but between us and the hospital was a huge mud pit in which cars and trucks got stuck.

Somehow, I got it into my almost-eight year old mind, as one does, that in order for the stuck vehicles to block the road, they had to have been stuck sideways.

I have since learned better, having maneuvered vehicles around stuck vehicles in mud pits on several occasions.

Anyway.

The Trooper got my parents to the hospital in plenty of time for a screeching little being to be born.

We thought she was going to be a boy.

I'm kind of glad she was who she was, instead.

No comments: