26 November 2011

shopaholic

I called my lovely momma today, and she asked if I had done any shopping yesterday.

The answer is yes. I bought a book of stamps, a cup of coffee, and four grocery items at Trader Joe's.

But somehow I doubt that counts.

I did also walk into Old Navy, but I fled as quickly as I always do. There is something about that warehouse feel and all the chaos of colors that makes me feel slightly dizzy immediately upon entering the store, and I can barely give it a walk-through before I turn around and high-tail it out of there. Seriously. My tail is in the air.

(Side note: have I recently, if ever, mentioned that the Kinyarwanda word for goat, ihene, is apparently related to the word for naked? Or so I was told during my two years working with goats and using the word ihene innumerable times. Apparently this is because goats walk around with their tails straight up exposing their little behinds. And apparently, although this may or may not be related, when you give a goat to someone in Rwanda, you never tell them that you are giving them a goat. You tell them that you are giving them a sheep, and somehow - I don't know how - they know what you are really giving them and are grateful to receive a goat instead. Because sheep = almost useless,* and goats = food.)

If you have not totally lost the initial point, I feel obligated by honesty to say that I also squandered approximately 23 minutes in TJ Max because I was too early meeting a friend. No purchases were made.

* I feel like I have mentioned the sheep thing, but I just searched the blog and did not find it. Sheep, to my admittedly somewhat limited knowledge, because I was working with all goats, all the time, have virtually no use in Rwanda. No milk, no meat, no wool. Their only evident use is to accompany cows, because they are said to divert lightning from cows to themselves. I don't get it, but my former boss, who studied animal stuff, said that he thinks there may be something to it, or at least some reason why this is thought to be. Body chemistry, maybe?

No comments: