05 September 2011

car wash

I begin to understand why my dad always used to start holidays by making us kids wash and vacuum the cars. There is just some instinct about it.

That, or I have become my dad, and my compulsion to clean the car on holidays is learned, not innate.

Knowing that your car is freshly vacuumed and the oil changed makes for a very satisfied afternoon of sitting by the pool doing absolutely nothing but turning pages in a book and occasionally switching from a deck chair to a lounger in the pool.

I took my book in the pool with me, when I was alone in the pool, and then set it safely on the side before N. jumped in. He picked it up and moved it even further away, to the table, before running and diving into the deep end.

"Barely a ripple!" his dad said, and N. proclaimed his dive a perfect 10.

"Hardly," D. said. "Your legs weren't together, and your knees were bent."

"So picky," I said, propelling myself slowly along the edge of the pool with my hand.

2 comments:

Clovis Seeman said...

Mm, yeah. It's a nice to have your car ready to hit the road, ready for anything, and all while being clean to boot. Of course, getting to relax with that knowledge is good, too.

Ellsworth Mciltrot said...

Your dad knows the importance of maintaining your car by keeping it clean and shiny. Cars are at their best when cleaned, and they look good to the eyes too! A clean car will definitely catch some attention on the road, no matter the make or model.