08 August 2011

water

If there is one thing that I miss about living in the Mitten State, it is the warmth of the water in the summer. I love the mountains of my New State, but the cool summers and the ocean currents and the snow melt make for very cold bodies of water, even in August. Rarely do I summon the nerve to swim in them.

Here in the Mitten, though, the water is warm. Even on a not-so-sunny day, we jumped right in off the boat in the middle of a little, slightly scummy lake. (They are all slightly scummy. It comes from the warmth and the seaweed.)

We splashed and, I confess, I dunked my sister, just once.

I was the only one who wanted to go tubing, though, strangely. What is wrong with these people? (My sister and her friend were "too tired," they claimed. Uh... they are also 23. What on earth is going on? They should never be too tired for anything at 23.)

So I went tubing alone. It took a little while to get it all worked out - I didn't like the feel of the first rope, and I pictured it breaking and whapping me in the face, and then it turned out that it actually had frayed almost to breaking - but eventually I was sailing over the glassy water out beyond the wake.

That is some perfect Mitten moment right there, with the deep summer green all around the edges of the lake, and the smooth water right in front of you.

I could have whipped around the lake all afternoon, but, uh, my back hurt. Apparently I'm too old for this.

Nah.

No comments: