27 August 2011

parade tomatoes

There was a parade in Universe City. Parades out here are wacky, and Universe City is much smaller than Gone West, so the professionalism bar is low. Very low.

That's a good thing.

The result is a crazy, laughing mix of sleeping babies, kids calling out to their friends, sullen teenagers, aging beauty queens of all genders, and a great many hippies. They have to keep their clothes on for the parade, though.

One guy blew huge, persistent bubbles with sticks and rope. They floated far above us and then popped into gooey pieces that fell back down to the pavement.

My roommate M. and I kept hoping the jui jitsu guys would fight again - they'd done it long before they got to us - but as far as we could see as they walked off, they just walked. No fighting.

...

I have decided that I am a better person when I live with other people. I lived alone for almost five years of my life, two in Rwanda and three in Gone West/Universe City.

I thought I wanted to live alone when I moved to Gone West. I thought I needed to live alone when I moved to Gone West. It turns out that I was just burned out by the three months of living in team housing in South Sudan. Team housing in a place where you can barely leave your compound due to mud and a lack of places to go is a very different thing than having a roommate, particularly when you have your own activities and transportation.

So I have a roommate, and the presence of another person makes me better, even though I almost never see her. It gives me incentive to get up and do things, and so I clean more, and I have guests more, and I try more new things.

Today I tried roasting tomatoes. I love orange cherry tomatoes, having discovered them about this time last year, and I bought too many of them this week at the farmers' market. I couldn't eat them all.

I cut up and roasted a pint of orange cherry tomatoes (using this recipe), and even though I roasted them a little too long, they were so good that I ate the entire roasted pint in one sitting, plain and with pasta.

Seriously, try it.

No comments: