10 March 2011

the sight of stars

We are doing ground survival in advanced fighting class. Ground survival involves someone attacking you while you are lying on the ground, and you have to get very close to people you barely know. You have to put your nose in someone's sweaty neck, and however suggestive that might sound, it's quite gross. I think I mentioned that you barely know these people. It's good incentive to make you learn to throw them off and damage them.

Also, ground survival involves the instructor using phrases like "full mount," which, I may be about 12, but I find hilarious. You can't react to those phrases, though, because someone is about to attack you.

I seem to damage myself more than anyone else while practicing ground survival. I am not, of course, actually attempting to damage anyone. But last week I left with three large bruises and a sore neck. This week, I dropped the instructor on my head. It really, really hurts to drop a person on your head. I saw stars.

That was most probably the fastest possible way to learn how not to flip him. I did it right the next time.

No comments: