02 February 2011

eating

When I was in law school, I was at the health center for some reason, and a doctor asked me something about food or nutrition, I forget, and I said, "Well, I'm not very good at eating."

She gave me that very careful look that health personnel at big universities cultivate and said, "Tell me what you mean by that."

What I meant, and what I told her, is that I'm not very good at knowing that I'm hungry until I'm so hungry that I'm shaky, and once I'm shaky it's impossible to think about what I'm eating. I just need to eat something, anything, immediately.

I might have wanted to remember this before I went to fighting class plus kung fu on a handful of almonds and two peppermint joe-joes.

The thing is that it doesn't happen that often, and so I forget about it. Most of the time, I eat on a fairly regular schedule, before things get to the point of shakiness. But then I climb a mountain or spend a whole morning and afternoon getting my hair cut or go to 2.5 hours of exercise in a row, and when I hold out my normally steady hand, it trembles.

Tonight, a very nice lady in my kung fu class gave me a little packet of almonds, and I sat and ate them before getting in my car, driving home, and stuffing everything I could find into my mouth.

Once again, not that good at eating.

No comments: