14 February 2011

boxing gloves

Kung fu is still kicking my @ss. I can hardly move. After fighting class today, I seriously considered leaving, just to have the evening free instead of full of punches and kicks. I didn't, though. I stayed, and I stood in ma bu and xu bu and crane stance. I jabbed and crossed and hooked and round kicked. "You've gotten a lot better," the instructor said, "just in the last week."

It turns out that the advanced fighting class is more like a boxing class, and last week I spent the whole class practicing my stance and then jab-jab-jabbing at a dummy. I jabbed until I could no longer lift my arm, and then I cross-cross-crossed until the end of class. My left arm feels bruised from all the jabbing. I need to buy boxing gloves, and headgear, and a mouth guard.

I never really pictured myself as a boxing kind of girl.

One of the girls in my kung fu class has pink boxing gloves. And one thing I can tell you: it looks like I actually may be a boxing kind of girl, but my gloves will be black, not pink.

No comments: