05 January 2011

orion

I drove home on Sunday night on a windy little road through the hills. The cars behind me passed me the first chance they got because, frankly, I am annoying on a dark, windy, unfamiliar road. I drive much more slowly than the trucks of the people who live in those hills. I crept along, refusing to drive faster for their sakes, needing to feel in control of the car.

Orion hung low in the southeastern sky in front of me. I followed him all the way home.

I can tell my cardinal directions from Orion's orientation in the night sky. He was straight up above our house in Liberia, and all I have to do imagine him there, in the Liberian sky, to know which way is west.

One of my favorite things about living in Africa is the fact that Orion is visible all the time. I miss him, here in the Northern Hemisphere, where he only appears in winter, in the southern sky.

Whenever I can see Orion, I feel like I'm home.

No comments: