27 January 2011

on up

We had a hardcore fighting class yesterday.

(Have I mentioned blackjack? It goes like this: 20 push-ups, 1 sit-up. Run across the floor. 19 push-ups, 2 sit-ups. Run across the floor. It goes on until you are doing 10 push-ups, 11 sit-ups, then finally to 1 push-up, 20 sit-ups. I was sore today.)

Then I went to the advanced class.









Yeah.

You know that saying about muscles you didn't know you had? Usually people are talking about, I don't know, their legs. We all know that we have muscles in our legs, even if we don't use all of them all the time.

I am sore in the muscle that runs down the side of my back. How does that happen? I would not know how to work that muscle if you asked me, but somehow I did it.

The boxing gloves I borrowed were 18 oz each, and dropping them from the sides of your face meant 50 push-ups. I literally could barely lift my arm to the steering wheel as I was driving home.

"I knew you would end up here," one of my classmates said. "You like to hit things. So do the rest of us." She turned to the other woman in the class. "Right after she started, she asked me about defending against automatic assault rifles."

"Oh," the other woman said, "we should get some practice rifles. That would be good to learn."

I fit right in. Or I will, when I can move again without groaning.

No comments: