19 November 2010

[19] new

I am not as adventurous as I seem, as I have mentioned many a time, but today I tried something new: sushi with raw fish. Normally (and by normally, I mean: the other three times I've gotten sushi), I get the veggie stuff. Sweet potato, yum. Today, though, I had to get over it. It's fine to be all vegetarian when you are meeting a group of new people - "I'm vegeTARian" - or other vegetarian people, but N. is down from Gone West for a training and sometimes you just have to woman up and try something new. "Because you know the other people won't mock you over it quite as badly?" N. said.

"I don't like white sauces," I told him over the smoked salmon/cream cheese/avocado rolls, "but sometimes you just have to trust that even if you don't like one ingredient, a culture puts the flavors together for a reason."

And they were delicious.

No comments: