27 October 2010

car car car!

I am infatuated with my car. I want to caress it every time I walk out to it. Only someone who hasn't had a car for an extended period of time can possibly understand how incredible it is, when you need something, just to get in a car and go get it. Or, OR! I can offer to drive. Or, OR! I can meet people for things in the evening when public transportation is done, and if I want to leave and go home, I JUST DO IT.

I'm not sure I can convey how truly exciting this is.

Tonight, I was at a store, buying things, and I heard a college student asking the cashier where he could catch the bus. "There is a stop just across the street," she said, "but you'll have to check when the next bus is coming."

I so clearly remember those cold, rainy nights, standing at a bus stop, wondering if the bus will ever come, and what you will do if it doesn't, that I stopped outside the door, hesitating, ready to offer him a ride, but he walked out the other way, purposefully, as if it would not discourage him as much to stand in the cold and dark alone as it always did me.

It's strange, and maybe not rational, but when I drive home in a warm dry car and go into my warm dry house, I feel less lonely than I used to feel walking in the cold wet night, waiting in a windy bus stop, watching the people in their comfortable living rooms.

1 comment:

Newark used car said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.