11 October 2010

adjusting

I've been in Universe City for over six weeks now, and I'm beginning to like it. I have more going on here than ever I did in Gone West City, between FIGHT class and my new-found penchant to just up and say, "Hey, I'm new here. We should be friends, and you should call me whenever there is something interesting going on." Also, I am working on being the instigator myself. It's amazing how well these things work. You just plan things, and ask people to do them, and if you are friends with the right sort of people, they show up. Even better, they also plan things, and they ask you if you want to do them.

Every time I move somewhere, I think hopefully that this time it will be different. This time, I will be surrounded by cool people who will all like me and I'll never have to spend a Saturday evening alone ever again, unless I want to. At some point, though, I figured out that I have to change in order to change my life, and with this move, I was ready. I knew what I needed. I knew what kind of life I wanted to build, and that I would have to do the work of building it.

Yeah, anyway. This is all a part of my realization, sometime in my last few months in Gone West City, that I am actually an extrovert. I like having activities going on. I just happen to be a shy extrovert. No one would call me shy after talking to me for a few minutes, but I am not the bravest at approaching new people and making conversation and asking people if they want to do things. I am working on that. I have made a couple of friends that way here in Universe City. It's hard to walk up to people and say, "Hey, can I talk to you guys? I don't know anyone here and I don't want to stand alone in the corner," but surprisingly often, I meet people that way, and surprisingly often, they too want new friends.

No comments: