08 September 2010

car

Addendum to Sunday's post: I had actually checked the Sunday schedule for that bus before I headed out expecting a 7:59 am bus. I was not blindly following a weekday schedule. Thus the annoyance: the bus does not even follow its own allegedly up-to-date schedule.

I need a car. I have been carless since I got back from Rwanda in 2004, due to three years in New York (car is more work than use) and three years in Gone West (car is just not really necessary).

I used to love driving, in Rwanda. I loved the tight curves on the road to Kibuye and the close brushes with huge, lumbering lorries. I loved the blinker to tell people if it was safe to pass and the hand kept poised over the horn to warn cows and kids who darted into the road.

I loved driving, but now S. says, "You are kind of a jumpy driver," when I drive on the way down to Universe City. I have lost my comfort behind the wheel, or maybe it's just that I still expect cows and kids to dart into the road, even on a smooth US American highway. I will have to earn my comfort back behind the wheel of my own car, the first one I haven't bought from my dad or been assigned at work.

1 comment:

A & J & F & H & W said...

Make sure you buy Japanese.