22 September 2010

amusement

I went into a sporting goods store to look for gloves to wear at my FIGHT class. I opened a bunch of boxes and tried on a bunch of them, but none was quite right. In between, I chatted with the guy who worked there.

"It's a really fun class," I said, as we concluded that there were no workable gloves there. "If you ever think about taking some sort of martial arts or self-defense class, this is a good one."

"Oh, NO," he said, primly, "I don't like hitting, or being hit."

"Well, it's really more about what to do if someone comes at you with a gun..." I trailed off, and he found a reason to go off to run the register at the front of the store.

It was very, very hard not to laugh out loud. Does he think I'm planning to go find people to hold me at gunpoint? The whole point is what to do in situations in which you did not choose to be.

I am, however, that person who, after class, asks the nearest instructor, "So, what about, say, a machine gun? What do you suggest for disarming that person? Because there is the strap over the shoulder, which would make it harder."

"I suggest," she said, "taking cover."

I guess this FIGHT stuff is still going to be no use in much of the world, then.

No comments: