27 July 2010

dresses

I decided a while ago that this would be the summer of the dress. I like dresses, but my enjoyment of them is a new thing. As of a week before my law school graduation three years ago, I owned exactly zero of them. I had to go shopping for them all whirl-windy so that I would have something to wear for graduation.

(Then, on graduation day, while I was wearing my new dress, we went out to a bar with S. and her family - it was the first and only time I have done shots with my father - and afterward, as I was walking up Seventh Avenue, I walked over a subway grate just as the train blew past underneath, and my skirt flew up over my head, exposing my bare, er, toosh. (Yes, I was wearing underw3@r, and no, there was not that much too it. What? I didn't want lines!) Fortunately, there were neither cars nor people anywhere near us, and even my parents didn't notice.)

After I moved to Gone West, I started buying dresses. Well, first I started actually wearing the two graduation dresses. Then I bought two more that fit me better at my post-Sudan weight (Yes, there was food in Sudan, and no, I did not eat much of it. I had an amoeba, remember? Plus plain rice for every meal gets tedious.). I've been adding to my dress collection ever since.

When my momma came to visit, the first thing we did, after hanging out with the K.s, of course, was go shopping. We went directly to the sale rack, as cheap Dutch-Americans are wont to do, and happened upon the world's most perfect-for-me dress. It was black, and cotton, and comfy, and work-appropriate due to little capped sleeves. I wanted it and wanted it, but money was lacking, so my momma (and my dad, but he wasn't here) bought it for my birthday. Which is... two and a half months from now. Whatever. We are flexible. I heart this dress. It is my new go-to for everything.

THEN, we went to a store closing sale, and I ended up with a slightly-too-big party dress that had a collar falling off. It was originally $448 and I got it for $17.89 plus $1.75 for a spool of thread and a whole lot of my mom's effort. She spent the rest of her vacation pinning and basting and making me try it on and re-pinning and re-basting and generally working instead of relaxing. (Take note, people: come visit me at your own peril. Last year my dad fixed my chairs. This year my mom whipped me up a dress, practically.)

Summary: dresses. Hearts. Flowers. I wear them everywhere these days. I have work dresses and flouncy I-should-be-doing-traditional-Mexican-dances dresses and cute little party dresses and this new one, which is going to be my wear-to-weddings dress. If I can find any weddings in close proximity to which to wear it (I cannot afford to travel). Anyone want to get married here in Gone West? I have a great dress to wear to your wedding.

At least, I will have a great dress to wear to your wedding. After my mom actually sews it, in Michigan, and gives it back to me.

No comments: