27 June 2010

human connection

I have been using a neti pot to clear out my sinuses in the morning and evening, and I read somewhere online that adding a drop of glycerin to the saline solution can keep your nose from getting dried out, so I went to W@lgreens yesterday to try to buy some.

The woman who usually helps me at the cosmetics checkout (I go straight there because there is almost never a line) was straightening hair products in an aisle. I went over and asked her if they sold glycerin.

"No," she said, and I thanked her and started to walk away. "Wait!" she said, "I have some glycerin from Africa. I can bring it tomorrow if you want. You will come back for it?"

Never one to say no to gifts from Africa, I agreed.

"I will be here from 4 p.m. up to..." she looked at her watch, "up to about now. You are sure you will come for it?"

I assured her that I would, and asked where she was from.

She said, "Ghana," and beamed at me, "the country that beat the US this morning."

Today I went back with some coconut scones in hand, and we traded glycerin for coconut scones, and now I have glycerin made in Tema, and a warm glow of human friendship.

No comments: