28 May 2010

helium baloon

Soon after I came back to Gone West in January, after Christmas in Michigan, I went to the eye doctor. "My eyes just cry and cry and cry here," I said. "Is there anything I can do about it?"

In a most incredibly patronizing tone, he said, "It's winter. The air is dry, and the dry wind makes your eyes water."

I wanted to stomp on his foot. Why is it that health care professionals so often treat us like we are stupid? "I just came from MICHIGAN," I wanted to tell him, "where it is about 30 degrees colder and much windier. Don't TELL me about dry air. My eyes don't water there like they do here. It is not the cold, dry air. It's raining here, see? That means there there is, in fact, some moisture in the air. Have you, in fact, ever been to a dry place? Because this place? Is not dry."

I had a similar experience today. I actually left work early because I had such an awful sinus headache. My eyes are red and puffy from constant watering. I have been taking @llegr@ religiously, but to no avail. I know that the cause is something in Gone West, because last week in Michigan, I felt great. As soon as I left the airport here Sunday morning, my eyes started watering again.

A few months ago, at my annual physical, I told the doctor that allergies were really bothering me. She suggested a nasal spray, which I duly used for several months, to no effect whatsoever, and I finally reverted to last year's prescription of the @llegr@. It helps, a little, but my head feels like a filling balloon that might just pop off and float away. I have a sinus headache almost every day. I am constantly exhausted. I did not feel this way in Michigan, or even here in January and February. The headaches and exhaustion start, every year, on March 1, the beginning of spring, and they continue through December.

I called the doctor, and her assistant called me back to say that the doctor suggested:
  1. a neti pot (I've tried that. Repeatedly. Doesn't help.)
  2. CHECKING MY APARTMENT FOR ALLERGENS. (Does NO ONE listen? I SPECIFICALLY said in my message that I feel ok until I leave my apartment in the morning. Then by the time I get to the train (1.5 blocks), I have a pounding headache. I told the assistant so again. She blew me off.)
  3. eye drops (if I get to the pharmacy and these eye drops are incompatible with contacts, I am going to drop kick someone).
My head is still pounding, despite taking extra medication (I am sure I am not supposed to mix @llegr@ and other allergy medication, but desperate times...), and now I'm furious, too. I want to call back and yell at my doctor, who I generally love, "STOP TREATING ME LIKE I'M STUPID. I could BE you." And I could.

For the first time in quite a while, I am wondering if I should leave Gone West. I don't know if I can live this way.

No comments: