07 March 2010

happy people

The bus driver on my bus last night was possibly the happiest person I have ever encountered. It was almost eerie, how happy she was.

She was happy through the drunken guy swearing at the young woman who dared to call him out for his lecherous staring. ("I'm not hating, ya'll. This is my least favorite part of my job. But you cannot use that kind of language. It makes other people uncomfortable.")

She was happy through helping some incompetent woman flip down the bike rack and load her bike on it. ("I love showing people how to do this! Praise the Lord!")

She was happy through finding an old woman sitting forlornly on a bench at a bus stop and calling her to come on to the bus without fare. ("Are you ***? Praise the Lord! Someone loves you. They've had us all looking for you. You don't need any money. Just get on the bus. Here's a day pass. Praise the Lord!" [Getting on the radio.] "I found ***! Yes, ma'am, praise the Lord, she was sitting at my bus stop. I found her. She is on my bus.")

Sometimes, it's just nice to be around happy people.

No comments: