17 February 2010

fragile stomachs beware

There was a black plastic bag blowing across the street today, as I walked back to work in the sunshine, and I started thinking. The drive between Kigali and Kibuye in Rwanda is two and a half hours of tight curves, and people regularly get sick and throw up on the minibuses. When I lived there, people would throw up into black plastic bags just like that one, tie the opening shut, and throw them out the window. (I had to be careful not to hit them while driving, because an explosion of vomit is just gross.)

A few years ago, the government of Rwanda outlawed plastic bags. I guess this was because they were unsightly and polluting. But I wonder: into what type of receptacle do people now throw up on the road from Kigali to Kibuye? And how do they get rid of the barf?

No comments: