06 January 2010

gymming

I think I said sometime last winter that I am only capable of doing one thing per evening. I can go to the store or I can work out or I can blog or I can clean or I can go out and do something with friends. I don't know why it's so impossible for me to do multiple things in an evening, but it is. It cuts into my time for slacking, I think. It's important to have time for slacking, even when you don't really have anything to slack from.

Lately, I've been going to the gym. The gym, as we all know, is in my building. If it were somewhere else, I would never go. Never, never, never. My feeling about the gym is that one can only go after dinner and at a reasonable time before bed, and there should be no going out into the dark and cold in order to get there. I do try to go to the gym, though, for several reasons. One is that I can't afford to keep buying new clothes, so I have had to institute a healthy eating + exercise plan for the next few months. I am really trying not to make this about being fat or skinny, but seriously, people, I cannot afford to outgrow my clothes. I am too broke for that. Also, if left to my own devices, I will eat every bit of refined sugar in sight. Not so healthy.

The thing is, though, that when I do drag my little self down to the gym, I feel so much better about my body. It isn't that I think that going to the gym makes me a better person or that it changes my body that fast. It's just so nice to feel like these legs and arms of mine are useful. I like them better when they do something for me. I feel like looking down and patting my arm or leg and saying, "GOOD little limb. Good job."

But I don't. Because that would be weird.

No comments: