22 October 2009

just a moment

I pretend to be this worldly world traveler, but the truth is that I keep going back to the places I know and love: Sub-Saharan Africa, Central America, Northern Europe. There are entire swaths of the world - Southeast Asia, the former Soviet Republics, any Pacific Islands, to which I have never been and which, to be quite truthful, are so unfamiliar to me that I am a little afraid to try them. I only seem intrepid to ya'll because Africa feels like home.

I have a departure for Vietnam and Cambodia scheduled for a week from Saturday, and I didn't realize exactly how paralyzing the whole new continent concept was until S. and I started talking about hotels and I had to turn it over to her to figure out. If it were Africa or Latin America, I would have no hesitation about my ability to choose a decent hotel out of a guidebook or off a website. I just have no confidence in my ability to choose a place in Vietnam. I looked at the photos and panicked because help this does not look like an African hotel I would choose at all, do we have to pick this one? (Answer: no. There are plenty of other hotels from which to choose. Only the variety overwhelmed me, too.) Fortunately, S. has it handled. She is the one who actually has possession of the guidebook, actually. And I did all the work for the visas, so I don't feel too bad about hyperventilating/procrastinating until she took over the hotel reservations for the first two nights.

Nine days it is.

No comments: