10 September 2009

knubletjes

At the home of my Dutch great-aunt and great-uncle, on the canal north of Utrecht, there is tea between meals and vla after dinner and in the evening, before bed, there are little snacks called knubletjes. As far as I can tell, although I could be wrong, knubletjes (sp?) means something like "little things to nibble on." That's what it sounds like, anyway. Sometimes knubletjes are Bugles, which are a familiar salty snack to North Americans, but sometimes they are more interesting things, little curls with less salt, a concept that has never occurred to a US American. At least, I thought it hadn't. On a whim and needing snack food at Trader Joe's this week, I picked up a bag of potato and lentil curls (high protein! high fiber! delicious and nutritious!). I was feeling munchy tonight and I pulled them out. Hm. Not so salty. Hm. Crunchy. Hm. Full of flavor. Hm. Lo and behold, I have found knubletjes.

No comments: