14 August 2009

clouds

The weather was beautiful and clear until Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon, it started raining.

My sister arrived Tuesday evening, and it's been cloudy and/or raining ever since. So I wonder: what is it about my family that draws clouds and rain? Every time I talk to them, I tell them how Gone West is cloudy and rainy all year but the summers, oh, they make up for it. The summers are beautiful and clear, the perfect temperature for sitting out on a patio of an evening.

And then my family members come, and it's cloudy. Universally, so far. When my parents came, we spent hours driving and walking around trying to see the mountain, always stymied by clouds. This town is letting me down. It's a good thing the best coffee and the best Ethiopian food and the best bookstore and the best park remain excellent, because otherwise my family's visits would be utter disappointments.

No comments: