21 January 2009

still the tears

I have, once again, been crying every time I see anything related to the new President. Michelle and Barack dancing? Tears. Photo of Michelle fixing Sasha's shoe in the White House? Tears. The President signing proclamations? Tears. I'm in love with all of them.

Do you think they need another member of the family? Like maybe a 29 year old white girl? I could babysit...

Right, they already have a Grandma for that. Well, if you hear of any Obama family openings (human roles only, please), let me know. I want in.

...

Isn't it beautiful to have a black First Family? I just keep looking at that family, at the two adorable girls and the elegant parents, and thinking how wonderfully they fill the White House.

A black, biracial man is the most powerful person in the world. (Assuming the US is still the most powerful nation in the world, which it might not be. Actually, maybe a Chinese man is the most powerful person in the world.) But regardless, Barack Obama is so perfectly presidential after eight years of watching Bushie bop around desperately.

I cried in Liberia the first time I heard a woman introduced as President, and I suspect that I will be crying for a while every time I hear Barack Obama introduced as President. This has been such a long, long time coming. So many years of slavery and Jim Crow and civil rights - and so much work left to do - but for just a few days, I want to enjoy this victory.

And funny, it really does feel like my victory, and the whole country's victory. I read something, somewhere today that said that the reason we love Barack Obama is not because he will fix our country but because he gives us the confidence that we can fix it. I agree, and I suppose we had better get started. Right after we all repeatedly watch this video of the President and First Lady dancing last night, singing to each other. I plan to cry every time I watch it.



1 comment:

traci said...

I'm the same way. They are wonderful human beings. The thing I love the most is how just the PICTURE of them, just the IMAGE of them in the White House before they even start to speak says to my Detroit Public School Students "You can make it." and then when either Barack or Michelle open their mouths the students start to think "Hey, it's cool to be smart." Amazing.