29 November 2008

[29] fashion

I no longer have a functional television (the infrared sensor broke, so I can't change the channel, so I can't get it on channel 3, so I can't use cable, so I get no channels clearly). If I want to watch television, I have to go down to the little gym room in my building. If there are few other people there, meaning no guys who have taken over all the channels for sports, I can watch a show for a little while. Yesterday I happened upon an episode of Wh@t Not to We@r, which I used to watch sometimes back when I had tv.

Fashion has been bothering me for the last two years. Why must women's clothes be so unflattering? You know it's bad when the skinniest person in the room looks bad in the current fashions. (I know, I'm totally buying into the current Western perception of beauty here. I don't actually think the skinniest person in the room is the best looking - often that person is not - but I am trying to make a point.) Those babydoll shirts - not okay. Those shirts that poof out right on the bust - not okay. Those shirts that look like a bubble with a band around the bottom - not okay. And no, pairing it with skinny jeans or leggings does not make it look okay. It still looks like a bubble on a stick, not a human body.  

Why is it so unacceptable in current fashion to have shirts, in particular, that actually fit and flatter? It is downright annoying. It's so difficult to shop, because there is nothing normal in the stores, plus I have to actually see all these women wearing terrifically unflattering clothes, and I want to pull them aside and tell them to change, but that's rude, of course. I'm ready for some new trends. 

No comments: