13 November 2008

[13] %(*&^ movies

I intended to stop for a drink after work with a few girls from work. I suggested the place I always suggest, which I suggest because of the amazing soft pretzels with cheese fondue, with which I am obsessed, and my suggestion was accepted. I left work a few minutes early because I had to make a stop on the way, and eagerly headed to the pub.

Closed.

Not just closed but, to add insult to injury, closed for the filming of a movie. If there is anything I thought I had escaped when I escaped New York City, it is movies filming in the exact locations where I want to live my life. Ethiopian restaurant just south of Houston? Prevented due to movie filming. Playground where the babysittees loved to play? Banned due to movie filming. Walking one block down the street to the grocery store? Again, blocked due to movie filming. It's all exciting the first five or six times, and then it just starts to get old. Are there no other coffee shops in Manhattan they can use for movies? For that matter, are there no other pubs in Gone West?

We relocated to another place, which was fine, although pretzel-less and therefore inherently disappointing. But it was delightful to sit and chat with some very pleasant company. It's been a long time since I laughed until I couldn't sit up straight, but I did tonight. I certainly did tonight.

No comments: