14 October 2008

permanency

In my little old Michigan, we do not have a DMV. We have a Secretary of State, and we go there for licenses to drive, etc. I have had a Michigan driver's license since the day after I turned 16 (I turned 16 on a Sunday) and a driving permit for 10 months before that. Everywhere I've lived for the last 14 years, I've been a Michigan driver.

No longer. My Michigan license expired on my birthday, October 1, and it didn't quite seem right to renew it, since I no longer live there. (Don't think I didn't think about just renewing it in Michigan - there was some serious emotional attachment going on there.)

But no. I got a little driver's manual and I studied the rules of the road and I went to the DMV and I waited in a crowded waiting room for them to call number B75 and I sat at a computer answering questions with photos that seemed to involve an inordinate number of cars made in about 1983, and they took away my Michigan license, never to be seen again, and today in the mail I got a brand new New State Driver's License.

It looks like I might actually be here to stay.

No comments: